Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Women of the Wall

It turns out that our second Shabbat in Jerusalem is Rosh Chodesh Tammuz -- which is the first anniversary of Keithen's bar mitzvah!  Even more exciting for me (Laurelle) personally, is that I may be able to attend a Women of the Wall Rosh Chodesh service on Sunday, July 3rd.  G-d willing, I will attend with a friend of mine who will be in Jerusalem when we are. 

As some of you may know, the issue of women wearing tallitot while davening at the Wall is a divisive issue for many, with heckling, assaults, and sometimes arrests imposed on the women exercising their right to pray to G-d in the manner of their choosing in peace and dignity.  I am both excited and feeling some trepidation at the notion of being able to add my voice to those that day and those that have gone before.

There is a link at the bottom of the page to the Women of the Wall website -- if you look at the scrolling links on the left side of the page, there is a moving piece written by an Orthodox rabbi on the issue which was posted in March of this year.  I will, of course, blog about the experience if it in fact does come to pass (though by blogging about it I have certainly decreased my chances of sleeping in that day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment